Even though we know it should be a year long celebration Sunday is officially Mother's Day!! And if you are looking for something to do, here's a great list just for you.
1. I know I often add the Garden State Discovery Museum but they always have great events going on all year round. This great South Jersey destination for family fun is just about 20 minutes over the Ben Franklin Bridge, so not bad for you Philadelphians either. On Saturday and Sunday from 12pm to 2pm celebrate mother's day at the museum during their Teddy Bear Tea Party featuring songs, stories and cookie decorating. On Saturday, join Rosie Hymerling for some "beary" special crafts! This weekend....Mother's get in FREE!
2. I know this really isn't a Mother's Day event, but this would be a great outing for a family with a train enthusiast like mine.And it would make my Mother's Day to see the smile on my son's face. My son is addicted to trains to say the least. Celebrate National Train Day at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia Saturday from 11am to 4pm, complete with train exhibits, Live musical performances, games, face painters, giveaways and more. And to top off the excitement of any young train enthusiasts, their will be special appearances by Amtrack conductors and engineers. This entire event is FREE!! And to make it extra special, instead of driving, you could take the train into 30th street station. If you don't live near 30th street, this event is going on around the country at train stations near you, click the link above for schedules and more information.
3. Okay, back to Mother's Day..If you live in, around or near North Wales Pa, here's one for you. The Young Chefs Academy of North Wales is holding a special Mother's Day workshop.
Saturday from 2:30 to 4:30 Mom's and grandmother's can spend time creating memories, cooking and crafting. Each team will create three recipes and get a keepsake apron and edible flower!! And my favorite part of this event is that you can make a mess in the kitchen and you don't have to clean up afterwards!! Gotta Love it!
4. We love Johnson's Farm and this looks like a cute thing to do on a beautiful day!! Enjoy a parent and child garden planting lesson and hayride! Saturdays and Sundays the hayrides take place every hour! They also have a great outdoor play place for the kids, if you are looking to burn some of that extra energy to guarantee nap time!! Didn't by Mom any gifts yet? No worry! Treat her to the homemade goodies and gifts, anything from fudge, candies, flowers and plants!
And this weekend, Mother's receive a free hay ride and half off an ice cream cone!
5. All I can say about this next one is YUM!! No matter where you live this place is definitely worth the ride, the wait and the food. The Pop Shop is holding a special Mother's Day Brunch! On Sunday at 9:00am, 11:00am and 1:30 pm they will be holding a buffet style brunch, with 2 separate buffets...one for the adults and one for the kids.. and finish off this delish meal with a chocolate desert! Advance registration is required!! Click on the website for more information!
And remember, if you can't make it to these events, never under estimate the power of giving mom the day off. Let her take a good nap, eat breakfast in bed uninterrupted, and not have to change diapers, break up fights, pick up toys or prepare meals for the day! Mother's Day doesn't have to be about expensive gifts and jewelry, but just a break from the norm and showing her how much you appreciate her is really worth more than you can understand.