Friday, May 21, 2010

Everything goes with Bananas

My kids loooooove bananas.

They eat so many bananas at times I expect to see my son sprout a tail and start swinging from the chandelier.

Oh wait, he does that anyway.

But like anything else we find our kids love, we tend to WAY over buy them. And of course just like the traditional toddler mindset,having plenty of something on hand is their cue not to like it anymore, such has been my luck with Yogurt, Applesauce and Sun Chips. But too many bananas on hand can make for a sticky situation. They don't want the perfectly ripe ones because the skin has brown spots and who I can throw out that perfectly ripe banana that will go bad in like, 5 hours if it's not consumed. Great excuse to whip up a couple loaves of this banana bread. I found on Epicurious.com. The one bowl use equals minimal clean up and the easy recipe means you can bake this bread with unlimited interruptions, breaks in trains of thought and your kids nipping at your heels, now that's my kind of recipe.

Aunt Holly's Banana Bread

Ingredients

•3 to 4 ripe bananas
•1/4 cup melted butter
•1 cup sugar
•1 1/2 cups flour
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 egg, beaten
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•Chocolate chips (as many as you want!)

Preparation


Preheat oven to 350°F. Mash the bananas in a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Bake in a buttered loaf pan until a toothpick stuck into the bread comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Slice and serve.

This recipe makes one loaf. I added a 1/2c of sour cream to make it a little moist, you can also add a 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt. I made two loaves, one without nuts and then made another loaf adding 1 cup of chopped Walnuts, my husband's favorite accessory to any type of bread or cookie.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Bananas aside...
    You have a chandelier??

    WOW. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!