Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Let them eat Waffles

Hot out of the toaster. Frozen or freshly made.


Today is National Waffle Day. 


National Waffle Day is the anniversary of the first U.S. patent for the waffle iron in 1869. Though they are mostly eaten for breakfast, waffles can be eaten any time of the day. And even though I don't make them with a waffle iron, the toaster or the oven will do, who can resist celebrating this breakfast treat. It's easy to make, fun to eat and minimal clean up afterwards, that is if my daughter doesn't get a hold of the syrup bottle.


When my kids heard that it was National Waffle Day and declared we should eat waffles for breakfast, why would I refuse making something I knew they would actually eat. (Now only if I could stuff them with waffle colored spinach!) 


What are our favorite ways to eat waffles you ask? We are the boring syrup and butter kinda but sometimes with a little twist. 


Here are ten ways to enjoy this versatile treat.


10. Plain. boring, but someone has to do it.


9. With butter and syrup.


8. Topped with a pie topping, like apple or blueberry


7. Lightly buttered sprinkled with a little sugar and cinnamon, like cinnamon toast.


6. Butter and honey.


5. Eat 2 of them stuffed with egg and cheese, a waffle egg sandwich.


4. Butter, banana slices, brown sugar and cinnamon


3. Peanut butter and Jelly


2. My kids' favorite way, topped with butter, syrup,whip cream and rainbow jimmies. 


1. As a kid my mom used to make my sister and I, a waffle topped with vanilla ice cream and syrup for desert! We loved it every time.


So in celebration of National Waffle Day, which  my son as been waiting to celebrate for the past two weeks since he heard about it on Sprout, and mentioning it to me over and over again, thanks Sprout. He had a waffle for breakfast fixed his favorite way with a little butter, light syrup and rainbow jimmies. Everything is better with rainbow jimmies, right?



And in true Sophia fashion, she celebrated National Waffle Day be having a celebratory.....Cheese Sandwich.




How do you prefer your waffles?

7 comments:

  1. Really?? Now I want a waffle maker!!! :) Stopping by from SITS and hope you have a great day!

    Be sure to check out my clutch giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found my waffle iron in the back of the cupboard a few weeks ago when we moved! I used to make waffles all the time for the kids when they were little - now they eat those frozen chocolate chip things because we all have different schedules, especially on the weekends.

    I have to dig that thing out and use it TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea today was Nat'l Waffle Day! Thanks for the heads up!

    And I like to eat my waffles with Nutella and strawberries or homemade whipped cream and strawberries. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I didn't know there was a national waffle day! I must get out my waffle iron. Fairs around here sell waffle icecream sandwiches which are very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make a pb&j sandwich out of Eggos. Those were the days...

    Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I love waffles! I found you on the blog hop and I'm your newest follower! Come follow me too! :)
    http://curliegirlie03.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, we were a day early! I fixed waffles on Monday. Next time I'll know (I've marked my calendar so I can try to remember to transfer it to next year's calendar-yeah, right as if I'm THAT organized!) My kids like waffles brushed with butter, sprinkled with powedered sugar and sliced strawberries and topped with whipped cream kind of like State Fair funnel cakes. I prefer blueberry pie filling and whipped cream-mmm Good! Sprinkles really do make the world go round.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!